Monday, February 9, 2009

Super Simple Chicken Soup

Out of my mess of chicken, about $7.00 worth, I used one thigh to make my soup, this chicken has been washed and rinsed well and allowed to dry on a clean dish towel before using. I fried the 6 legs and roasted the other pieces left, I am making three recipes with all this chicken, really 4 as I am going to use some of the roasted chicken tomorrow to make a fruited cold chicken salad. I am hoping this inspires others to realize how easy it is to make simple meals with little cash and stretch it a long way. I have always been a thrifty shopper and cook and have always thought of recipes that my family would like and that could be made simply, no frew-frew here.
In a 5-6 quart pan, I added about 5 cups of water along with one chicken thigh, a small amount of Lowery's seasonings ans a small amount of McCormicks grill Masters seasoning. By a little amount I mean about 1 teaspoon. Bring this to a boil and allow to cook at a high simmer while getting onion and celery ready.

Add 3 or 4 chicken stock bouillon cubes to the boiling mixture, you can use low sodium if you have it, I didn't. Don't add extra salt without tasting the soup towards the end. You can use canned broth if you have it also.
Chop into small pieces, 1 small onion and 2 stalks of celery.
Dump the chopped onion and celery in to the boiling broth and allow to simmer with the chicken.
Add 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables, you can used canned, but the frozen have less sodium.
Remove the stewed chicken from the pot and allow to slightly cool before removing the skin and bones.
Let the chicken slightly cool, then debone and remove skin, shred the chicken gently with your finger, add to boiling broth mixture and stir.
Add noodles to the boiling broth, I used a Mexican brand called La Moderna vermicelli, but if I did it again, I would buy heavier noodles, I think they don't get as mushy with reheats, I just thought mine were neat looking and very inexpensive, but maybe go with an egg noodle, they are a little thicker.

A chicken in every pot, well maybe just a piece, this pot of soup is pennies or maybe quarters to make, It makes about a gallon, it could feed a family very well with some nice crusty rolls or a grilled cheese sandwich on the side. I would not recommend freezing this, the noodles will mush up if you do.
How about that soup on a spoon? Looks pretty good, right!!!! This can be done while you are roasting your chicken, then you can have soup for supper and it is so hearty and filling, with the veggies and noodles and chicken. You can tell how rich the broth is. For anyone who always wanted a good soup recipe this is an easy one to make. Any Jewish mother would approve, along as your chicken was kosher. Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment