Monday, February 1, 2010

Easy Pico de Gallo

A finished bowl of pico de gallo, with some nice crunchy chips, this was supper for me tonight. Took me longer to download the pictures than to make this delicious dip.
Red onion, I guess you could use white or yellow onion, but the lovely purple/red of this onion screams to be chopped into a salad, salsa or pico de gallo. 4 Tablespoons chopped finely, yes I was still chopping when I took the picture.
Roma tomatoes, I love these in winter for their firm and meaty texture and the closest thing to fresh "real" tomatoes you will taste, cut into halves. Oh yeah, I used 4 whole Roma's
Remove the inner core and seed with a spoon, very easy, I saved mine and ate them with a dash of salt!
Chop all the tomatoes into nice even little squares or as close as you can get, add to the bowl with the onions.
Cilantro, say it with me and roll your rrrrrr's, Cilllantrrrrrro! OLE'
Chop about 3 tablespoons finely and add to bowl with onions and tomatoes.
Lime juice, you could use lemon, I would have loved to have had fresh, but bottled will do.
2 Tablespoons please, into the bowl of onions, tomatoes and cilantrrrro, OLE'
OK, if you want a little heat, add Jalapeno, I chopped a few and added a tiny bit of juice, but you do not have to, if you don't your Pico will be very mild, which is also good. Mix altogether and eat, don't mix and set for too long, it will get soggy and wet.
This is so good with chips, good on anything really, tacos, tamales, burritos, but it will not keep, you must make it and eat it or the tomatoes tend to get all soft and mushy and that is not good, like I said this is pretty quick and easy and boy is it worth it when you dig into it with a crunchy, salty tortilla chip. This probably made about 2 cups of pico, but I ate it all up. Glad to be back with you all, I will try so hard to post more often, love you all!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Glad to see a new update! :) We will have to get out to see you soon so you can meet Maggie!

    ReplyDelete