Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bacon Cheddar Chicken

Okay, this is my first serious recipe for this blog site. I call this cheddar bacon chicken and I just realized I left the cheddar cheese out of the above photo, oh well, I will include it in your ingredient list. This moist and yummy chicken is quick to fix and makes for a great next day lunch to pack and carry. There is nothing weird in this recipe so you husband and kids should like it. I will try harder next time to not forget something or miss a step, this is harder than it looks. Ok, ready for the line up: About 4 whole chicken breast or I used 8 chicken tenders, skinless and boneless, 1/2 pound of bacon, cut slices in half, 1/2 lemon, juiced, 8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup of mustard, any style, 1/2 cup honey or I used light corn syrup.
Fry up about 1/2 pound of bacon in a skillet, this doesn't need to get real crispy, because it will be going into a hot oven and it will crisp up real fast there. After the bacon is done, save some of the grease to fry your chicken in.

Add 1/2 cup mustard into a large mixing bowl, you can use yellow mustard or even a fancy grey poupon or coarse grind mustard if you want to, be creative, I say use what you have and don't worry about it. My good old French's worked just fine.


Add 1/2 cup of light corn syrup, the original recipe called for honey, but since I didn't have any, I decided to try the light syrup, which I think worked out well, but either one would do.



Add a 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the mixture and whisk together.




Squeeze a half of lemon into your marinade and whisk together, after this is mixed well, you will put your chicken breasts that you are going to flatten in the next step. into this bowl. I think maybe I missed a step, oh what the heck I am new at this.





Place each rinsed and patted dry chicken breast between a piece of wax paper and pound out into a thin cutlet, now is the time to take out your aggressions, but not too much, we still want something to cook.






Take each chicken breast form the marinade and place in the skillet you fried your bacon in. Leave only about 1/4 cup of bacon grease in skillet to fry the breasts. When you cook them, you are just putting a sear on each side, just cook for a couple of minutes per side, they will not be completely cooked, but will finish in the oven.







Lift each piece of chicken from the skillet with tongs and placed on a lightly greased sheet pan. After getting them all on the pan, place in a 400 degree pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.








When your ten minutes are up, pull the pan from the oven and add the bacon and cheese to each chicken breast, put them back into the oven for 5 more minutes to make the cheese all melty and gooey.









All finished and plated with a lovely bouquet of steamed broccoli, misted with butter. The cheddar bacon chicken is topped with a few chopped green onions, which I love, but do not have to be included. This makes an excellent quick supper and make extra to pack for lunch tomorrow, add a nice bun or roll with maybe tomato and a dash of mayo for a great sandwich idea. This was a hit with both of the guys at my house, probably because of the bacon and cheese.










No comments:

Post a Comment